The Fedora project searches also like on previous versions, for contributions to the supplemental wallpaper package.
What are supplemental wallpapers?
Supplemental wallpapers are the non-default wallpapers provided with Fedora. Fedora ships GNOME’s supplemental wallpapers by default. We collect an additional set for each release of Fedora and offer it as an optional package. Wallpapers shipped with Fedora that are not the default GNOME wallpapers are called “supplemental” wallpapers.
Dates and deadlines
The submission phase opens September 1 2016 and ends October 10 at 23:59 UTC. Important note, submissions during the last hours can in certain circumstances not get into the election, if there is no time to do the legal research.
The voting will open automatically 11 October 2016 and will be open until October 23 2016 at 23:59 UTC
How to contribute to this package
Fedora uses for the submission the application Nuancier for managing the submissions and the voting process.
For an submission you need an Fedora account. If you have none, you have to create one before here.
For being allowed to vote, you must have a membership in another group as cla_done or cla_fpca.
For inspiration you can look to former submissions and winner wallpaper. Here are some of the last election:
Also this time, the number of submissions a contributor can make is limited. A participant can only upload two submissions to Nuancier. In case you submit multiple versions of the same image, the team will choose one version of it and accept it as one submission, and deny the other one.
Denied submissions also count, so if you make two contributions and both are rejected, you cannot submit more. Use your best judgment for your submissions.
You can also earn badges for contributing. One badge is for an accepted submission. Another badge is if your submission is a chosen wallpaper. A third is awarded if you participate in the voting process. You have to claim this badge during the voting process, as it is not granted automatically.
- Must not contain brand names or trademarks of any kind (including Fedora itself).
- Must not contain material that is inappropriate, offensive, indecent, obscene, hateful, tortuous, defamatory, slanderous or libelous.
- No sexually explicit or provocative subject matter.
- No images of weapons or violent imagery.
- No alcohol, smoking, or drug use imagery.
- Must not contain material that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age.
- Must not contain material that is unlawful, in violation of or contrary to the laws or regulations in the jurisdiction where the work is created
- No religious, political, or nationalist imagery (including flags).
- No images of hats, particularly fedoras.
- This is a matter of respect for our primary sponsor, Red Hat, Inc., and is not negotiable. Of course, passive appearance of hats, such as those upon heads in a crowd, are allowed.
- No version numbers. End users might prefer to continue to use an older theme, or use the latest theme in their older version of Fedora. To enable that choice, do not use any version numbers within the Fedora artwork.
- No text. Text should not be used in the background because the artwork is intended for a global audience and to be reused by derivative distributions.
- Should not contain images of people (contemporary, historical, or fictional).
- Should not contain images of pets or captive / mistreated animals.
- Submitted wallpapers must use a format that can be read by software available in Fedora Package Collection. Preferred image formats is PNG.
- Originals for landscape formats must be a minimum of 1600 pixels wide and 1200 pixels high. The larger the better. Photographic submissions should be made at the highest resolution the camera is capable of.
- Submitted wallpapers should be provided in a 16 x 9 aspect ratio if possible.
- No watermarks, signatures, photographer or creator names, or messages may be included in any part of the work.
- Submissions must not contain material that violates or infringes anothers rights, including but not limited to privacy, publicity or intellectual property rights, or that constitutes copyright infringement.
- If your submissions include or derive from artwork created by other people, please make sure the license of the original work you incorporate is compatible with Fedora and that you are not violating any of the provisions of its license.
- Make sure you provide attribution to artists that license their work with a CC Attribution clause.
- Submission should have the consent and approval of the author or creator
- Submissions are thereby licensed to the public for reuse under CC-BY-SA unless another accepted approved liberal open source license.
See a list of approved licenses for Fedora.
- Note that we can not accept NC or ND submissions!
Davinia Siles Pardos
What an amazing coincidence ! I was thinking about doing some wallpapers for Fedora or Gnome!. I am willing to have new badges!. Let’s go to business! 🙂
Justin W. Flory
Hope to see some of your wallpapers in Fedora soon, Davinia! 🙂
Thanks for Good Wall Papers
~ A Fedora User
Wallpapers are great, but Fedora 25 should be better than F24. At this point – wallpapers cannot cover that F24 is almost unusable for me (artifacts on rendered clips in kdenlive, messed gtk theme in apps like Audacity, freezing copy windows in Nautilus etc).
Wallpapers are great, but quality must be better than in Fedora 24.
wrong type of comment at an open source project website
you should try to send some patches for kdenlive, gtk or whatever else to fix this bugs
Last line of the rules reads:
“Note that we can not accept NC or ND submissions!”
Pardon my ignorance, but are you saying that submissions from North Carolina and North Dakota are not accepted or are these abbreviations for something else I’m not aware of?
Paul W. Frields
These mean, respectively, “Non-Commercial” (meaning not usable by commercial entities) and “No Derivatives” (meaning modifications are not allowed).