We don’t have an official job posting for this yet (soon, I think), but in the meantime, I’ve been told that candidates should email interest and resume to Andy Pittaluga apittalu at redhat.com with subject line “Fedora Community”.
If you are interested, or know any other good potential candidates, please send this on.
Fedora Community Action and Impact Lead
Red Hat’s Open Source and Standards group funds a full-time position to lead initiatives to grow the Fedora user and developer communities, and to make Red Hat / Fedora interactions even more transparent and positive. The Fedora community budget comes to us through OSAS, and this position facilitates decision-making on how to best focus that to meet our collective objectives.
The successful applicant for this job will be appointed to the Community Action and Impact seat on the Fedora Council, Fedora’s top-level community leadership and governance body. The Council is responsible for stewardship of the Fedora Project as a whole, and supports the health and growth of the Fedora Community.
The person in this position will:
- Hold the Community Action and Impact seat on the Fedora Council.
- Work with other Council members to identify the short, medium, and long term goals of the Fedora community and to organize and enable the project to best achieve them
- Primary Council member with responsibility for the development of the annual Fedora community budget
- Participate in decision-making about use of trademarks, project structure, community disputes or complaints, and other such issues
- This seat holds a full Council membership, not an auxiliary or advisory role
- Design and spearhead special initiatives to grow user and contributor bases
- Implement metrics for community engagement, participation, and satisfaction; create and execute projects to improve those metrics; report regularly on progress and adjust approach as needed
- Identify opportunities to engage new contributors and community members; align project around supporting those opportunities
- Communicate community needs to Red Hat and participate in regular meetings with internal Red Hat stakeholders; align Red Hat participation in Fedora beyond platform engineering
- Represent Red Hat’s stake in Fedora community success
- Improve on-boarding materials and presentation of Fedora to new Red Hat hires; develop standardized materials on Fedora which can be used at Red Hat globally.
- Work with Fedora Council and OSAS to determine annual Fedora Budget
- Ensure that budget is published and tracked transparently, with a public page indicating how each year’s budget is earmarked and its current state.
- Participate in planning and organizing Fedora’s Flagship events each year, including:
- Regional FUDCons
- Fedora Activity Days
- Red Hat Summit presence
- 3-5× week, major communications to Fedora Magazine or other mass communication channel to talk about community goals/progress and general community boosting
This job requires exceptional communication and organizational skills. Strong experience with the Fedora Project or a comparable open source community is essential, as is a strong technical background.